Anchor Text Experiment

"Anchor Text" is text that usually gives the reader descriptive information about the content of the link's destination. The anchor text may not contain any of the actual text that makes up the URL of the link. When done correctly, only the anchor text appears, and the URL is hidden behind it somewhere in cyberspace.

EzineArticles.com sent an instructional email to show me how to do this. I tried it in an email to myself, but I couldn't get the text of the URL to disappear. So, this is my second attempt. I think it will work in my Blog. so here goes:

It's important to know that temperance is a virtue, to learn more, click here

Wow! It worked, I'm souped! I'm learning-out-loud here, so try to follow as I wrap this up. This is cool stuff. Using "achor text" in this Blog of mine, is going to allow readers to jump around effortlessly from article to article. I'll be able to write concise 500-800 word pieces, and then just use anchor text to jump to another article that expands on the topic or is otherwise related. Neat!

There is also an advantage when it comes to search engines crawling a blog or website, because the anchor text will have keywords that may not be in the lengthy URL address.

If I wanted to expand on a word like temperance mentioned in an article, by pointing to an article I wrote all about "temperance". Wikipedia recommends using "click here" as opposed to always slipping the anchor text into the text of the sentence, like in this example:

Today our troops have liberated another country from tyranny.

The more concise way of coding that would be:

Today our troops have liberated another country from tyranny. To know more, click here.



So, here is what the code looks like to get the results that I impressed myself with in that example above. Did we learn something?

0 comments