Tile Mosaic Project


Here are the instructions to do a tile mosaic project like this. It's fun and relaxing!

At the bottom of the post you will find out how to order the stuff you need -the material that is hard to find that is. The rest of the required things can be easily found anywhere.



As you can see from the picture below that includes the guitar, this is a huge mosaic and it’s laid in a floor...My kitchen floor. Before taking on the project yourself, come up with a number of hours that you want to spend at it. Take into consideration that you will puzzle the pieces together, and glue them onto a special fabric that is laid over a certain kind of paper. So, it can be completely assembled, before it’s laid in place whether in a floor or wall…Even a tabletop.

This project took me about 100 hours, over 2 ½ years. It takes almost 4 hours per square foot if you want the tile to fit tightly. I only left less than an 1/8th" for grout. The design is original, and a pattern is available for order on my blog, along with all the other special materials, excluding the mastic-you can get that anywhere. But, a design of your own would be cool, wouldn’t it? I’ll post the picture on my site.
“ya good to go? "

What you will need outside of time, and a work bench:


Special fabric

Special paper

Tile Mastic, latex or acrylic

Tile snips

Tile stone

A Sharpie –marker, my favorite

Patience

This design is symmetrical, 8X. That means once I got the whole picture sketched out, I enlarged-on a copy machine, one quadrant. Then I laid over the quadrant with the special paper. I traced out ONLY half of the quadrant, the dividing line being corner to corner. Think about it like folding a piece of paper, and sniping the edges to make snowflakes. Once you have 1/8 th of the design, you keep flipping and tracing until the complete design is done. Are you with me so far?

Once you have decided on colors, gather as many pieces of tile you think you will need for the project. Now double that amount. You don’t want to run short. If this project takes you as long as it took me, you may not be able to buy the same color –it may no longer be available. You will be surprised at the amount of waste.

SNIP…FIT…GLUE. It is pretty intuitive. Trust your eye, line each new piece up and sketch what you need to trim with the Sharpie. When every piece is glued to the fabric, peel the mat off the special paper that also has the design. Get it? The fabric lays over the paper, but you can easily see the design through it. The special paper has properties that make it easy to peel off the mat, as a good amount of glue will pass through the fabric. This is good, because it tacks the fabric to the pattern so that nothing shifts.

With my project, I made a flower-compass out of some solid surfacing material. You could just as easily fill that in with tile. Have fun with this, and post your progress on my blog!

The Kit Includes the special fabric and paper you will need. Leave a comment in order to let me know what sizes you need to complete the design. 3' x 4' is the largest paper available...but remember, you can do it in sections. I would like it if you emailed a picture of the design, and included dimensions. Don't forget: Tell me if you want the pattern, Size-LxH, and your mailing address. I'll quote-Sm/Md/Lg as soon as you give me the info. Deposit in my Paypal account, and I'll send it right out. Thanks!


Use Comments To Order The Fabric and Special Paper





Don't forget to order the pattern if you are doing this design




0 comments